Sunday 14 July 2013

ALUMS IM 10 VISIT

A visit from IM '10 alumnus turned out to be great description of life during and post MBA. Let me start with the description of NITIE per say


Life at Mumbai is supposed to be fun and each of the person seemed to agree on the same. First Nikhil PGDIM'10 has been with KPMG since his post graduation and is currently engaged with managing IT advisory projects as Manager. He seemed having great fun with his job, and looked for every next day to reach to office and own every project under his belt. He is by the way thin looking lad, but has great enthusiasm discussing his roles. Second was Hemant again a PGDIM'10 alumnus but one whose career wasn't less than a thriller with stints in Satyam and a couple more firms before choosing KPMG in HR function.

Here were two contrasting personalities with diverse opinions who were just about to take on a journey through NITIE and beyond.

There were many takeaways from the discussions that followed , I just can postulate those:

1. Entrepreneurship is divine but it should not be taken for wrong reasons. I mean being an entrepreneur is cool, but cool is not all one has got to be pragmatic and be honest with the passions one has. After all trade off between a job and not a job, Work life balance or No Work life balance, some money and a lot of money are sure important before plunging into the field.

2. Being in a two year classroom in NITIE can be the best thing to happen in my life(or for that sort any B school), the reason being these are the last campus days for most and the only thing that can differentiate people is the utilization of time. 
'Time is an important resource and should be used very wisely'

3. A job can also provide ownership of a business just an understanding is needed that a business you create in a job environment is also your baby provided you have a passion to do the same.

'Ownership comes through willingness and deep desire to continue doing what you are doing'

Now this is something I have learned from my previous job where I have found people such as my DGM taking ownership of every process and improvement and actually being 50 + on age and still having an energy that I even found hard to display. 

Work is worship only if you trust and love it as your own child

4. Ideas can surely change things, all ideas should be tried (Good or Bad, Crazy or Sane), the thing is you need a team a team, a dedicated one who can stay with and work with you without getting crazy enough to jump of a cliff.

'Remember that being Superman should be left to Super Heroes Businesses need Super Teams'

5. Finally something I saw in the presentation, a undying spirit to communicate ideas despite the exceeding of time limit , a hunger for ideas, presenting them to juniors in a energetic manner and professionalism. Something I super liked and for which I have nothing to say but Kudos. I wasn't so sure with NITIE as I am today.

Future is Irrelevant, what matters is today, what matters is my crazy ideas and my crazy pursual of them

No comments:

Post a Comment